Gunther Blumenthal came over to South Africa from Germany in 1936 and worked as a draughtsman for various independent shopfitting companies whilst involving himself in residential development in his spare time. In 1948 Gunther founded Pan African Shopfitters in City and Suburban Johannesburg and had a staff complement of six, and then relocated to a new facility in Heriotdale in 1954 where they remained until 1965. Pan African Shopfitters was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange between 1969 and 1981.
Steven Blumenthal joined Pan African in 1960, worked his way up to director, and was instrumental in implementing systems and developing catalogue items which are still in use today. He remained active in the company until passing away in 1991.
Arnold Blumenthal joined the company in 1965, and it was also during this year that Pan African moved into our new and larger premises in Germiston, and we still operate from these premises today. Arnold is still currently involved in the business and continues to play an active role as a company director.
Since 1991, Michael, Lance, David and Keith Blumenthal have joined Pan African and are still the current active directors continuing the family tradition... and have grown the company to the largest shopfitting organisation in Africa.